OUR BUILDING'S HISTORY
The Globe Bosse World Furniture Company (GBW) was formed in 1910 by three furniture manufacturing plants: Globe Furniture Co. (Est.1899), Bosse Furniture Co. (Est.1905), and World Furniture Co. (Est. 1907). The merge of these companies covered 30 acres west of Pigeon Creek on Maryland Street and was the world’s largest of it’s kind. Each factory was located in close proximity to each other on Maryland Street, and each had access to the Belt Line Railroad, which was located on the west side of Pigeon Creek.
1911- nEW factory addition at maryland & 9th ave.
816 N. 9th Ave., originally known as “Crown Chair Company” was constructed in 1902. Through the years Crown Chair Company became part of GBW, and on January 31, 1946, a roaring inferno destroyed several buildings of Globe-Bosse-World Furniture Company including part of the Crown Chair Company building.
1931- Formally “Crown Chair Company”- Global Bosse World Furniture Co.
It is still unknown the exact date that Globe Bosse World Furniture Company went out of business, but they were gone by the early 1960s. In 1955, 816 N. 9th Ave. was taken over by Stippler Tool & Supply, Inc. the company occupied the building until 2017 after merging with EBN Industrial Supply.
1917 - pUBLISHED fURNITURE AD
1955 - 2017: STIPPLER TOOL AND SUPPLY
2018: dESKTOP dOCTORS & dIGITAL uPGRADE
In 2018, technology companies, Desktop Doctors & Digital Upgrade found a new place to call home, at 816 N. 9th Ave. Since the takeover of the 118-year-old building, there have been many renovations completed to preserve this local piece of Evansville history.
DUP LOBBY BEFORE RENOVATIONS
DUP LOBBY DURING RENOVATIONS
DUP LOBBY AFTER RENOVATIONS